Home > Projects > Mayor's Visit (2004) > Schedule
Schedule for the Mayor's Visit
Saturday, June 12
- Arrival in Portland, ME.
- Visits to Eartha, the world's largest globe, at the headquarters of the DeLorme mapping company in and the Freeport Big Indian.
- Potluck dinner with Kotlas Connection Executive Committee and host families.
Sunday, June 13
- All-Day Excursion to Pemaquid and Camden, including a drive up Mt. Battie.
Monday, June 14
- Walking tour of downtown Waterville and discussion of Waterville Main Street, a non-profit corporation that follows a comprehensive and incremental approach to downtown revitalization.
- Visit to Waterville Foreign Trade Zone on Airport Rd. and flyover of Greater Waterville.
- Luncheon with the Waterville Rotary Club and program presented by Kotlas Connection Co-chair Phil Gonyar and Russian guests.
- Meeting with directors of the Kennebec Valley Council of Governments and Central Maine Growth Council. (KVCOG supports and expands the capabilities of local governments to provide economic opportunities. CMGC is a public-private partnership dedicated to collaborative economic development in Greater Waterville.)
- Interview at the Morning Sentinel, Waterville's daily newspaper, and photo op at the "Welcome to Waterville" sign at the Waterville-Winslow bridge.
Tuesday, June 15
- Tour of Waterville City Hall and meeting with Waterville mayor Paul LePage.
- Reception for our guests in the REM Forum at the Center with city officials, regional governmental leaders, area politicians, business leaders.
- Meetings with Waterville city officials on the structure of city government, the city budget, economic development, and city planning and zoning.
- Visit to the former Hathaway Shirt Factory on Water Street to watch the filming of a scene
for the forthcoming motion picture Empire Falls.
- Tour of Waterville's recently renovated and expanded fire station.
Wednesday, June 16
- Visit to FirstPark, a business and technology Super Park in Oakland supported by the collaboration of 24 area communities.
- Visit to Hammond Lumber in Belgrade, including the lumber yard, pre-staining yard, saw mill, kiln, planer, drafting, and retail store and showroom.
- Tour of Waterville-Winslow Recycling Facility, which is operated by Ken-a-Set, a nonprofit organization that provides vocation opportunities for the handicapped.
- Tour of Head of Falls in Waterville and discussion of development plans. Visit to the historic Two Cent Bridge and dedication of the Kotlas Memorial Birches.
- Visit to L.L. Bean's Customer Contact Center in Waterville, which takes order and customer service calls for L.L. Bean, a major outdoor clothing and sporting goods company based in Maine. The call center is an example of a service industry's replacing lost manufacturing jobs.
- Cookout on Little North Pond in Rome, ME.
Thursday, June 17
Friday, June 18
Saturday, June 19.
- Train trip from Portland, ME to Boston, MA. Walking tour and visit to historic sites in Boston.
Sunday, June 20
- Shopping excursion to Freeport, ME.
Monday, June 21
- Departure, from Portland.
< Back Top